JOB DESCRIPTION: Communications Officer
Job title: Communications Officer
Responsible to: Communications Manager
Benefits: 25 paid holiday days per year, plus Bank holidays and Christmas closure, and employer contribution to pension
Contract: Full-time (35 hours a week), permanent contract after successful completion of probationary period
Location: Genetic Alliance UK’s team were office-based in London prior to the Covid-19 pandemic. The team is currently home based. There is potential for home and office split working in the future.
Genetic Alliance UK:
Genetic Alliance UK is the national charity working to improve the lives of patients and families affected by all types of genetic, rare and undiagnosed conditions. We are a membership organisation made up of over 200 patient groups and we aim to upskill our members, bring knowledge and advice, and unify their voice around key policy issues that affect the patient community. We are experts in health policy and have a team of in-house academics who conduct psychosocial research into the effects of living with genetic, rare and undiagnosed conditions. We also actively support research and innovation across the field of genetic medicine, and raise awareness within the wider public. We have two long standing projects:
Rare Disease UK is a long-standing campaign and was established to push for the creation and implementation for the UK Strategy for Rare Diseases. Rare Disease UK is also the official organiser of the international health awareness campaign, Rare Disease Day, for the UK.
SWAN UK (syndromes without a name) is the only dedicated support network in the UK for families that have a child or young adult with an undiagnosed genetic condition.
The Communications Officer will use their design and communications experience to help raise the profile of Genetic Alliance UK and the work that we do to support people with genetic, rare and undiagnosed conditions. The role will work closely with the Communications Manager as well as other members of the team and external stakeholders to produce innovative and engaging content with a focus on visuals for all of our communications outputs. The successful candidate will contribute ideas and help drive traffic to our social media platforms and website, be responsible for keeping the content up-to-date as well as assisting with general enquiries.
- Monitoring and curating and our social media channels – Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube, and LinkedIn.
- Using visually engaging content to expand our audiences and channel impact.
- Keep up to date with, adapt and utilise current trends in social media and emerging channels.
Design and production
- Design and production of engaging visual social media assets in line with our brand and style guide.
- Liaising with our external designer to ensure all design jobs are produced in a timely fashion.
- Assisting the team by proofing and editing documents.
- Assist with production of newsletters, e-shots and other publications.
- Keeping the website and Covid-19 hub update to date and of a high standard.
- Ensuring all content is search engine optimised and promoted effectively.
- Assist with the monitoring of our work.
- General administration including helping to answer enquiries and phone messages.
- Be team player and work collaboratively undertaking any other tasks as reasonably required, including occasional evening and weekend.
- Produce content for newsletters and other publications, including visuals and infographics.
- Review communications and ensure the messaging is in line with our brand and style guide.
- General administration in the communications team; answering calls, scheduling meetings, gathering information and materials for events.
Education and qualifications
- Degree or equivalent experience in graphic design, illustration or similar.
Essential qualities, skills and experience
- Outstanding design skills with the ability to produce engaging visuals.
- Experience of producing visuals assets in accordance with brand requirements.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral.
- An eye for detail and excellent organisation skills.
- Extensive experience using social media platforms, including Twitter and Instagram, and communication tools including Mailchimp and social media scheduling tools.
- Can thrive in a fast-paced environment balancing multiple deadlines and priorities.
- Demonstrable experience of the adobe suite and other relevant design programmes.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, with empathy for the challenges faced by the genetic, rare and undiagnosed community.
- A can-do attitude that works with enthusiasm and creativity.
- Ability to work both as part of a team and independently.
- A commitment to the aims and objectives of Genetic Alliance UK.
- To be able to work occasional evenings and weekends, and longer hours as required around national awareness campaigns and political events.
- Deadline for applications: 18:00, Tuesday 18 May 2021.
- Interview date: Tuesday 25 May 2021. Please note, we will call candidates by Friday 21 May 2021 to invite them to interview. Unfortunately, we will not be able to offer alternative interview dates.
- Start date: As soon as possible after this date.
- Please email a CV and cover letter to: Miriam Ingram, Communications Manager at [email protected]. Your cover letter should explain why you are interested in this post and what makes you suitable for the role. Please save your documents as Fullname.CV and Fullname.CoverLetter. Please state your name and post applied for in the email subject line. Applications without cover letters or with incorrectly named attachments will not be considered. This role will be subject to a DBS check. For more information, please visit geneticalliance.org.uk.