This document should be read in conjunction with our Ethical Collaboration Policy. We will also consider requests to support company activities, including patient participation in company activities, provided the request is compliant with the terms of this policy.
Genetic Alliance UK works with, and accepts sponsorship, grants, fees for service and funding from pharmaceutical companies when this is in the interests of people affected by rare, genetic and undiagnosed conditions. In working with companies, we will maintain our independence and integrity at all times:
- Before accepting any funds or entering into any working agreement with any company, we will obtain assurances that the company complies with the standards set out in the Association of British Pharmaceutical Industries Code of Practice – in particular Clause 27 which relates to working with patient groups.
- Any collaborations and projects must clearly support our aims and objectives.
- We will never give one company a competitive advantage over another.
- We will seek support from more than one company whenever we can.
- Expectations and requirements of both / all parties to collaborations or funding agreements will be recorded in writing.
- Publications or products resultant of industry sponsorship will carry our logo; copyright and any intellectual property generated will remain with the charity.
- No person acting on behalf of Genetic Alliance UK is permitted to accept a personal payment from any company.
Genetic Alliance UK will accept honoraria and reimbursement of expenses for staff when the Chief Executive is satisfied that participation is consistent with the terms of this policy.
- We will continue to seek income from a diversity of sources. The total proportion of our annual income received from pharmaceutical and biotechnology companies will not normally exceed 30% of our total annual income. Should circumstances arise where this percentage is likely to be exceeded, approval of the Board will be sought prospectively.
Scheduled Policy Review Date: 30 March 2020